Having been in Veterinary Practice for over 25 years it has given me vast experience of First Aid scenarios and Emergencies and this will reflect in this course.
You will learn via reading, watching videos and viewing photographs, most of which are from my personal library as well as the Multiple Choice questions after each lesson.
This course will be different from any other course as I will chat about subjects related to Canine First Aid that you will find useful. I will share my experiences from working in Practice in the UK but also around the world as well as a smattering of Anatomy for you.
This course is designed to be challenging - its not an easy peasy course !
Please be warned there will be photographs of Injuries to aid your learning.
Canine First Aid Workshop Content
· Introduction to First Aid
· Avoiding Panic, Flight or Flight, Adrenaline and Noradrenaline
· The Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966 – its Boundaries and Limitations.
· Schedule 3 of The Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966
· Examples of Breach of The Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966
· Assessing a patient – A, B, C’s
· How to check for breathing
· What type of breathing
· What could be blocking the airways
· Handling and Restraint
· Emergency Muzzling techniques, suggestions etc
· Veterinary Practice Emergency numbers
· Opening hours, what happens after closing time
· Pet Insurance, pitfalls, why its necessary
· Third Party and Public Liability – why it is important.
· Direct and Indirect Pressure. Digital Pressure
· Three common injured arteries in the dog and potential causes of severing.
· Wound classification, open and closed wounds
· Incisions, Lacerations, Punctures, Abrasions ( real case Photos )
· Haematomas. Contusions
· Insect Stings, Snake bites, Bees and Wasps, How to treat
· Poisons, Symptoms, Common toxins, Pesticides, Medications, Foods, etc
· Shock, Hypovolaemic, Vasculogenic, Cardiogenic, Breed predispositions,
· CRT – Mucous Membrane colours
· Unconscious and Collapse,
· Pupil Dilation
· Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation – CPR, ( Veterinary RECOVER Guidelines )
· Why its important to do different CPR for dogs under 10kgs and over 10kgs
· Epilepsy, differential diagnosis, poisoning etc
· Epilepsy in the Water – what do you do, What questions would you ask an owner if the dog was epileptic.
· Choking, Different scenarios, Ball, Chews etc, what to do if the dog goes unconscious while choking.
· Stick in roof of mouth, opening a dog’s mouth safely,
· Abdominal Thrusts during choking.
· Fractures, cruciate ligament injuries, growth plate injuries. Fracture identification.
· Injuries to Eyes, Ears, Nose, prolapsed eyeball.
· Hypothermia – causes and treatment
· Hyperthermia – Why a dog overheats, How to cool ( Real case video footage of mine shown )
· Exercise Induced Hyperthermia – what is it and what breeds are susceptible?
· Gastric Dilation/bloat – Risks, Symptoms, Feeding regimes etc
· Electrocution – Symptoms and types
· Tachypnoea, Bradypnoea, Dyspnoea, Rales, orthopnoea
· Drowning, near drowning, Symptoms, avoiding the risks
· Water Intoxication, Hyponatremia, Hypernatremia, symptoms
· Burns, different types, First aid treatment
· First Aid Kits, contents needed
· Locating the Femoral Artery
· Calculating a Pulse Rate
· Bandaging fore paw
· Pressure bandage of head/ears
· Application of emergency Tourniquet and its dangers
· CPR – sessions on CASPER model dog